Hi
Chapter two was packed with information, Wow! I think we could have an entire semester on just it. I loved some of the figures 2.3 and 2.4 that summarized the theories. These were a good way to keep them straight. I also really liked the figures 2.5 and 2.6 that how each theory leads to the technology integration strategies. These graphical representations show the flow of the ideas. I also like the TIP Model for it's general idea. I like the process it laid out and having you ask questions about why you would use technology. However, I think this is would be very time consuming to do for every technology item or software that you used. I think this would have to be done as a team to determine what should best be used. However, having to wait for "approval" or plans my take so long that the technology could be replaced by something new.
One of the main things that I really liked about the book was their suggestion to blend the use of both approaches to learning. I was very happy to see this suggestion. I get frustrated sometimes with the idea that learning can only be accomplished one way. That this theory or that theory is "right". The book quotes Hirsh as saying "The right method depends on the situation" (p 35) I agree with this, I think the method of teaching depends on several factors. Some of these include: what is the need or problem, what are the logistical limitations, and most importantly what are the needs of the students? I think it is wrong to think that one way of learning is the only way. I loved the analogy they used (p 45) about the story of the blind men trying to describe the elephant. Each blind man focused on the part he had access to and was correct in their own way, but each was also wrong. (This could be an great lesson for kids if you have never seen it. I found a great one that is a poem with a great picture. )http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/blind_men_elephant.html?
The figures on page 48 (2.9 and 2.10) are good examples of how to integrate the two "camps". Figure 2.9 could be applied to all learning not just technology, it visually shows how both methods can be integrated to achieve results to common education problems. Figure 2.10 is a quick summary table that gives more specific examples of how technology can be used to address these common problems.
I was glad to see that a book suggests both approaches because I think that reality is that we will have to use both methods to be successful teachers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment