Chapter 3 – Teaching with instructional software
I enjoyed this chapter on the different types of instructional software. I liked the explanations of the different types: drill and practice, tutorial, simulation, instructional game, problem solving, and integrated learning systems. I liked how each was explained and the figures after each section that summarized each type of software. I have not used any of these educational software types so it can be a bit confusing keeping all of the different types straight. It seems that several do overlap each other and most could be used in different learning situations. I tried to think of the different types of instructional software in relation the ideas in chapter two, the two technology strategies, directed and constructivist models. I think if we look at the needs/problems then we can determine what is the best type of software than can be used in a particular situation. I feel that each type of software has its benefits and place in the instructional plans for our schools. I think that students should be exposed to the different types of software just for the sake of being exposed to the different technology. Then secondly, that they can be used for specific purposes, such as drill and practice to reinforce concepts or for those that need extra help and simulation and problem solving for the higher level learning/thinking skills. In my Readings in Teaching class one of the examples in the book where a school had teacher directed instruction Tuesday and Thursday and then more hands on/ constructivist instruction Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I think this was a neat approach. They were trying to meet “test standards” based on the NCLB act for the two days a week and then build on those skills the other three days of the week. This would take a joint effort and “buy in” from the teachers, administration and parents to incorporate these two teaching methods into the school environment. I think the software programs described in chapter three could assist with this type of program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment