Discussion Post for Theory Lesson Plans
Class
Forum: Social Constructivism-Lesson Plan Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 05:49 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 1--Jill Byrd and Karen Dailey
Karen,
Thank you so much for the explanation and encouragement. I love how you said to model this method and it may take 9 times or more! :-) I have found that with "Big Kids", meaning adult work teams, will also do much better if you let them decide how to approach new projects, or how to improve existing procedures, you get a lot more "buy in" from them. They are more motivated, and have ownership. So think I will be able to "transfer"/ adapt these skills to children. I looked at ALL the ACOS to decide what to do my lesson plan on and because I have not seen one it so long and it is scary. (Of course I looked at every subject for every grade k-6(I killed a tree) so that also made is scary!)
Thanks again!
Paula
Forum: Social Constructivism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 15:36 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 1--Jill Byrd and Karen Dailey
Hi
I love the idea of the groups have roles: . "Roles include keeper, word builder, questioner, and summarizer. " and then rotating the roles. This is a great way to build skills for each leaner.
The lesson plan is well thought out. The theory's ideas were well addressed.
Side note: - My biggest question about this type of lesson is how do you "plan" for it if you do not know what the students are going to choose? This not directed towards your lessons specically, just an in general question. I understand the reasons for letting students pick their learning topics, I guess I just have a hard time figuring out how to plan for it and how to make sure that all the state curricuclum guidelines would be covered? My undergaduate studies were 20 years ago and I just now getting my masters and trying to get back into the school enviornment, so this is a really different approach then I was taught. But I like it! :-)
Thanks - Paula
Forum: Social Constructivism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 15:25 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 4 Social Constructivism
Hi
I really enjoyed your lesson plan. It was well thought out. Your justification for the social constructivism learning theory is very good. I really like the idea of a "webquest" I think this is a great way for students to learn about topics in a fun way. Then using the graphic organizer is a great way for them to manage their research. With so much information available, sometimes it can be overwhelming. I like that use gave them a way to manage what they found. Kidspiration looks like a lot of fun. I am not very familiar with most of the software used in schools since I am currently not in the classroom, so any exposure I can get is great. I have added this to my notebook of things to check out and investigate more. (I can't buy subscriptions to all this cool tools, I would be broke!, so it does bring up the question is this something the school normally does?)
I had have one question and one suggestions: Question -I may have missed it, but how long would this lesson take?
Suggestion - I love the idea of a travel brochure, but I also like one of the steps that said to "brainstorm ways to advertise vacation spots". Possibly let the students come up with the method they want to advertise? (Posters, if multi media/video was available maybe they could to a "commercial", flyers etc.)
Loved it, Thanks - Paula
Forum: Social Constructivism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 15:41 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 5's plan
Hi
I like the idea behind this lesson plan. I think birthdays are so much fun! It has always been a big tradition in my family to celebrate birthdays. I think it is great to have the students discuss how birthdays are celebrated in different cultures. Then complete the lesson with a big party!
I am amazed, can 1st grades do email? I know lots of adults that can't! :-)
Thanks ~ Paula
Forum: Constructivism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 14:54 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: group 1 constructivism
Hi
I loved this lesson. I have never heard of Goggle Earth and had fun playing around with it. The other two SKype and Audacity sound very interesting, I have marked them to look at when I have more time. I think this is a great use of technology into a lesson. I think the students would be very motivated to learn about other places and work with another classroom. We are quickly becoming a virtual and global world. The tools in this lesson are right in step with the technologies kids can and need to use. For example, I will be taking a class for my job called "Leading virtual teams" and my husband's business class has lots of information about virtual and global businesses and how the workforce needs to become familiar with these technologies.
This lesson is inline with the constructivism theories, especially the children being able to decide on their own place. This lesson can be expanded into a unit on different States, countries etc. The students could then present what they have learned to other groups, classes within their school or other schools from what is sounds like with Skype.
Thanks for all the great information! - Paula
Forum: Cognitivism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 14:19 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 5's lesson plan
Hi
Thanks for the www.starfall.com website. This is a good drill and practice site. I don't get much exposure to the tools available to teachers so I am keeping a notebook of all the neat websites, lesson ideas, etc... for when I get into a classroom.
Your lesson follows the cognitivism theory with the teacher directed activity. The drill practice and having specific results. I understand that this theory is "harder" to teach when some teachers prefer the more constructiviism. But as some of the discussions have stated, there is still a need for these types of lessons for basic skills, for students that may need extra work, and for ELS students. As far as "extra work" I don't always think of this a just for "slower" students that might need reinforcement. If you have a more advanced student who may also be able to do some higher level skills to challenge them. The skill and drill could also be a way with peer teaching with more advanced students, older students, and even helping with ELS students.
Thanks ~ Paula
Forum: Behaviorism-Lesson Plan Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 07:17 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Behaviorism and Technology Lesson Plan-Group 2
Hi
I think you did a great job of using the Behaviorism theory for the lesson plan, yet still incorporated the more constructivist assessment with the rubric! I think many of us struggle with how to teach with more than one method, or how to satisfy the demands of standardize test topics but still use the methods we have learned are better for the students.
Great example!
Thanks
Paula
Group
Forum: Lesson Plan Development Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 22:40 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Social Constructivism Lesson Plan - Fran Lefort
Hi
This lesson sounds like a fun way to learn about another culture. This follows many of the social constructivism "roles in student learning: listed in your summary of this theory in our previous assignment:
-The process of construction of knowledge is as important as end product
-Interaction with other individuals in social contexts, and with community practice
-Learning occurs when students build, share and agree upon knowledge.
This lesson plan is designed to build higher order thinking skills, instead of just rote memorization, as listed as one of you computer uses on the social constructivism table.
This lesson is a little advanced for my experience with early childhood, so it was nice to see a more "mature" example of lesson for older students.
I saw one typo - I believe it should be build instead of built?
1. Description of the learning approach and its justification
Social Constructivism - by researching information on the country and by viewing the movie, student will construct their knowledge of the Dominican Republic and its culture. They will also construct an understanding of how individuals from this country adjust to the United States. By working in groups to develop the content for their Wiki they will built (d), learn, share and agree about their knowledge. By contacting an individual from the country studied, they will have the kind of....
Thanks - Paula
Forum: Lesson Plan Development Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 22:25 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: constructivist lesson plan - susan
Hi
This sounds like a fun lesson. It is in line with the constructivism theory in that is the students natural coursity about animals is nurtured. It also allows the students a choice in what they are going to email about. The idea of having the peers review the email is a great way to allow learners to help each other and they could discover things from reading their peers work that they did not discover on their own.
It is a good cross curriculum activity involving science, technology and language arts.
I saw one minor typo, the letter "t" needs to be add to number 8.
8. Modification – students could draw a picture that (t)he teacher could scan and attach to an email, or student could dictate email to a peer helper.
Thanks - Paula
Forum: Lesson Plan Development Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 22:59 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Cognitivsm Lesson Plan - Paula
Hi
Thanks for the comments. This lesson listed the Prerequisite Skills:
Create Excel Graphs
Basic skills using Word
Basic skills using internet
Basic writing skills
So I was setting this up so that they were already familiar with the Word and Excel. Kids amaze me how much they know about computers and software, how much faster they can pick up on things than most adults.
I added a little more of the information from the Alabama course of study and the website to the lesson plan.
Thanks - Paula
Forum: Lesson Plan Development Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 14:00 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Lesson Plans
Hi
Based on what Dr. Wang posted. I do not think that our four lesson plans will need to be combined into one document like we have done for some of our other assignments.
I may be misunderstanding, but I believe we will have 4 different places to post the lesson plans. If this is correct, then once we post the lesson plan on the group discussion for review, we would then individually post our lesson on the class forums based on the theory.
What do you'all think?
Forum: Lesson Plan Development Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 22:10 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: BEHAVIORIST LESSON PLAN +TECHNOLOGY
Hi
Your lesson matches the behaviorist theory well.
Good job on detailed lesson plan, it is scripted like a behaviorist lesson plan is designed to be.
Do the affordances of using the internet match it's use? Could they have gone to a library and found the same information in books? I think the internet would be the quickest way and also gives them practice doing research which is one of your learning objectives. I think the students would also think this method is more fun and this would motivate them.
Thanks - Paula
No comments:
Post a Comment