Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Discussion Post from Learning Theories

Discussion Post from Learning Theories

Class

Forum: Learning Theories and Computer Integration Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 10:52 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 5 - Learning Theories - Final Draft


Hi

I enjoyed reading about your groups learning theories. The document was very easy to follow and clearly defined each learning theory. I think you nailed the major difference between the theories as the difference between learning being a product or a process.

My question is not directed just at group five, but more of a general question for the class. After reading all of the group's documents it looks like their is more positive spin on the constructivism and social constructivism learning theories over the behaviorism and cognitive theories. I feel like this is the current "trend" in education, to teach with a more constructivist model. However, some books, articles, and discussions I have had in other classes have pointed out that this constructivist/social constructivist theories are sometimes harder to assess in that the assessment of these theories are more subjective. With all of the pressure to be "accoutable" with the NCLB act and the pressure to score well on standardize test, it seems that the behavirorsim and cognitive theories would be more in line with those demands. So my question is: how do you as teachers in the classroom balance the demands of trying to do both?

Thanks~Paula

Post reply

Forum: Learning Theories and Computer Integration Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 10:33 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Group 1--Learning Theories Final Draft


Hi

Great job, I like how you'all broke down the learning theories. I loved the examples. I think it is interesting how the different groups interpreted "examples". Some groups gave personal examples like your group, while others gave examples of the theory of the theory itself. I really liked the "clean up song" example. I thought this was a good way to incorporate the behaviorism theory in a positive way.

I also liked the point brought up in one of the "con's" for the constructivism theory, about how it would be harder for a substitute teacher to fill in. I had not thought about that. Has anyone that teaches primarily with the constructivism point of view had experience with this? Any suggestions of what has or has not worked?

Thanks~Paula

Group

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 13:21 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Assignment - My thoughts on learning theories


Hi

As far as our tables go, I think that as long as each table for each theory is one page, I think that will be fine. I think the table format lends itself to be concise versus if we had written paragraph(s) about each of the learning theories, and each question.

As far as learning theories go, I like a couple of references in the book and one of the websites from our reading for this assignment. (I have blogged about some of this) The book says “The debate continues because proponents of directed an constructivist views of learning focus on different kinds of problems (or different aspects of the same problems) confronting teachers and students in today’s schools. Like the blind men trying to describe the elephant, each focuses on a different part of the problem, and each is correct in its own way”. (Roblyer, 2006, p45) I found this neat website with the Poem and illustrations. http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/1/?letter=B&spage=3

I also liked the way the article found on the website http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/802papers/mergel/brenda.htm from our readings for this assignment, page 22 and 23 where it discussed an “eclectic approach to theory in instructional design”. The author talks about how the “circumstances surrounding the learning situation should help us decide which approach to learning is most appropriate.” Mergel also states that a study of comparison and contrast with the different learning theories by (Ertmer and Newby , 1993) showed that the “instructional strategy and content addressed (should) depend on the level of the learners”. That novice learners and a learner that is more familiar with the content would need different approaches. I agree with this, as I have seen it with what I do in the business world and also with students. If a topic is new, some basics may need to be mastered or “memorized” first before the learner can grasp the higher levels of thinking, For example, some basic vocabulary words, basic grammar rules, or rules in math or science may need to be learned before the learner could move forward. However, if a topic is similar to what someone already knows, then they can transfer their prior knowledge and connect it to the new learning. I work for a company that does computer software for car dealerships. If we are planning training for a new application, we approach it much differently than if we are planning training for just a new release of the software or newly added features of the application. I think this is also true when teaching children in many of the same ways. I feel that to be successful teachers we will need to use different approaches for different situations and for each individual learn. We all know that different people have different learning styles and by using a blended approach of learning theories we will be able to meet the different needs of our students.

Thanks~Paula

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Tue Apr 01 2008 09:03 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Constructivism


Hi

This looks good. Just a couple of things I saw.

  1. You have a few misspelled words, look for the red unlined words.
  2. Also in this text: "Students are engaged in experiences that might engender contradictions to their initial hypothesis and then encourage discussion." was is engender?
  3. Under the "cons" you may want to add something about how assessment is more subjective and my not be understood or accepted by parents or admistrators

As far as combining the tables. You might want to try this:

  1. Save each table to your computer.
  2. Open up which ever one you want to start with. Then depending on which version of Word you are using you can insert the other files into the first document.
  3. Do this for each table, then save the whole document.
  4. Be careful not to let the tables combine together. (This can happen when putting tables together, and it is really tough to impossible to get them seperated) The best way to combine tables into a document is to make sure you have enough blank lines inbetween, before you insert the next table.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 08:27 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Re: Theory Choices - Made


Hi - Here is the list

· · Constrictivism - Susan

· Social Constructivisim - Fran

· Behaviorism - Emily

· Cognitivism - Paula

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 10:07 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Theory Choices


Hi

So far this is what it looks like. Susan asked me to put her down for constructivism. And Fran wanted either that or social constructivism. So...

  • Constrictivism - Susan
  • Social Constructivisim - Fran
  • Behaviorism - open
  • Cognitivism - open

Emily you can choose which "open" one you want.

Can you please let me know my Thursday, March 27 at noon, so I can start on whichever one you do not want. If I do not hear from you by then, I will just pick one and go with it.

Thanks ~ Paula

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 10:43 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Attachment: @6c6561726e696e67207468656f72696573207461626c65.doc (25600 bytes) Subject: Possible Table Format


Hi

If we decide on the table format. Here is one I made up quickly. We can adapt. We could each submit themfor our theory and Susan could combine.

Or if you'all prefer the more free form and just answer the questions. Whatever the group decides, I just put this out here in case we want to use.

Thanks

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 10:33 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Leader - Susan


Hi

Susan has volueentred to be the leader. Thanks Susan!

I will email Fran to see if she agrees to breaking down the learning theories and we can start choosing which on each of us will focus on.

Susan has asked that we post our by March 31 so that she can get the groups organized.

How do we want to submit? Microsoft Word (will need to make sure to save as .doc) would probably be the best format. Do we want it in a table format? Or list the learning theory and answer the four questions for that learning theory?

Thanks

Forum: Learning Theories Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 17:04 Author: LAMBETH, PAULA <lamb8433@bellsouth.net> Subject: Next Two Assignments


Hi

I was looking at the next two assignments and wanted to propose the following:

Since both have us looking at 4 learning theories:

  1. behaviorism
  2. congnitivism
  3. constructivism
  4. social construcitivsm

I was thinking we could each pick one of the learning theories and answere the 4 questions for the first lesson. Then we could do the lesson plan for that same learning theory. We could each kind of "specialize" in one learning theory and then share what we learn.

What do you'all think?

Paula

No comments: